Thursday, June 25, 2009

A lifelong to do list

I have trouble getting through a single day at work without writing a to do list. This helps me focus my efforts and organize my thoughts, ultimately empowering me to accomplish tasks more efficiently. Might the same be true for my lifetime goals? This to do list spans the spectrum from mundane to ridiculous and will undoubtedly change as I continue to grow and re-evaluate my desires.
  • Live long enough to see more exciting space exploration, and maybe colonies on the moon, Mars, and beyond?
  • Get married and raise a family.
  • Stop losing hair, at least until I'm nearing 40.
  • Travel extensively across the world, to all seven continents.
  • Live abroad for awhile.
  • See our beautiful Earth from outer space.
  • Have an "in" at a Chipotle restaurant that would permit me to get free guacamole on all of my burritos.
  • Stay in touch with the people I care about, even when separated by distance and time.
  • Develop super powers that would allow me to fly, or, in lieu of this, sky-dive or hanglide from high in the air.
  • Watch the Terps win more national championships, particularly in football, basketball, and soccer.
  • Find a job that I absolutely love.
  • Become rich enough to accommodate all of these wishes, especially those involving traveling.
  • Be able to take the metro to work.
  • Know what truly reciprocated love feels like.
  • Speak more languages.
  • Hike at least part of the Appalachian Trail.
  • Get in shape enough to be able to go jogging for awhile to let off steam, run a 5K/partial marathon to benefit a cause, or just to explore a new area on foot.
  • Do a good job raising my children so that they love me and care for me when I'm old.
  • Have the opportunity to see the family members that I've lost, and will lose in the future, again, in dreams, heaven, etc.
  • Grow the popularity of soccer in the U.S., to the point where our professional league is respected and people will care when we someday win the World Cup.
  • See the Orioles field a consistently competitive team.
  • Learn to cook a wider variety of delicious foods, particularly creative, unique, and ethnic dishes.
  • Read more often, and be able to finish interesting academic books that I start.
  • Utter the words, "From NPR News in Washington..."
  • Regain confidence in my public speaking ability.
  • Practice and become more skillful at playing sports.
  • Enjoy the benefits of responsible, smart redevelopment projects that revitalize Southeast around the Anacostia River, the Southwest Waterfront, and downtown College Park.
  • Ride in a hot air balloon over a scenic landscape.
  • See the Democratic Party dominate national politics by governing fairly and maturely, bringing about lasting reasonable changes such as healthcare and entitlement reform, the protection of gay rights, and improved environmental stewardship.
  • Learn to play musical instruments, including the piano, the guitar, something brass, and something stringed.
  • Sing sufficiently in tune to be able to hum along to songs while other people are in the car.
  • Find a way to eliminate mosquitoes from the world without messing up the food chain.
  • Become better at sketching.
  • Live to see lasting world peace.
  • Figure out how I really feel about religion.
  • Live someplace where summers are less humid.
  • Bring my lunch to work more often.
  • Know the streets and neighborhoods of D.C. intimately.
  • Continue tailgating for Terps football games indefinitely.
  • Never, ever have a doctor tell me that I cannot eat what I want to eat.
  • Do good works for the community in a manageable way.
  • Be happy and successful.

So I guess this has developed more into a massive (somewhat unrealistic) wish list, versus an actual to do list. But there's no harm in aiming high. As the greeting on my cell phone tells me every time I flip it open - seize the day!

No comments: