Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I always hate cyclists

A friend at work forwarded me a list of "random thoughts of our generation." Though the primary purpose of the list was humor, I found it interesting that I agreed with so many of them. I don't know if these observations are all specifically applicable to my generation or if they speak to human nature in general. But a lot of them are kind of astute. Some examples:
  1. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

    Yes, agreed. This makes me uncomfortable and forces me to decide what I value more at that moment in time: extracting a shallow rhetorical victory by pretending to know what I'm talking about or rolling over and admitting defeat. One guess as to which of these impulses typically wins out.

  2. Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

    This happens to me all the time.

  3. There is a great need for sarcasm font.

    I have always thought this, particularly because I am kind of sarcastic and always afraid that when I type the exact opposite of what I mean, people will take me seriously.

  4. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

  5. Every time I have to spell a word over the phone using 'as in' examples, I will undoubtedly draw a blank and sound like a complete idiot.

    When giving out my email address for work, I think I've resorted to "L, as in... lollipop."

  6. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

    Even if this isn't true, it feels that way sometimes. And whenever someone asks "how are you?" in the morning (or any time), one of my fall back responses is "I'm alright... tired, though."

  7. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day.

  8. As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists.

  9. It really pisses me off when I want to read a story on CNN.com and the link takes me to a video instead of text.

  10. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear what someone said?

  11. Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out.

    I never had Nintendo, but reading this kind of blew my mind. How did everyone know to do that? Word of mouth, I guess. It must rank up there with Homer's epics as one of the greatest oral traditions of all time.

Kind of amusing, I thought. There were others that dealt with wanting an "avoid ghetto" route option on google maps, loving napping more as a grown up than as a kid, and a well-deserved mocking of the band Nickelback.

September is here and the weather has been gorgeous all week (and will continue to be for the next several days at least). College football season starts this weekend. Labor Day (and accompanying day off and barbecues) falls on Monday. I went to the Orioles game yesterday with Sam and am now going to leave work and go outside into the warm, humidity-free sunshine. All is good.

No comments: