Friday, September 17, 2010

Playing tourist

After a cruddy Thursday morning at work and a busy past couple of weeks, I decided to take today off. I had no particular plan for the day, and considered spending it shopping, reading, or sitting on the couch, watching dvds.

Instead, I decided to hop on the metro and indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, usually reserved for crisp weekend afternoons in the spring and fall: roaming aimlessly around DC with a camera and an intrepid spirit.

Today my adventure was slightly more focused. I have been trying for almost two years to find a good time to see the newly renovated American History Museum, so that topped my to do list. The rest was improvised.

After crying my way through exhibits on the military, 18th century fulfilment of the American Dream, and, of course, the original Star Spangled Banner, I had lunch and set out for the Tidal Basin. I often forget about the FDR Memorial, and especially never remember just how large it is, but I think it's one of my favorites.

Now, gazing across the water at the Jefferson (another favorite), as planes take-off from National behind me and families, joggers, and a teenager wielding a fishing rod roam by, I feel contentedly awash with patriotism. DC, I think, has a unique power to do that. Despite being the seat of such nasty, divisive political rhetoric, the city is also a magnet for Americans from all walks of life as well as foreign tourists who seem happy to shrug off the prevailing anti-Americanism in the world. All come to marvel at the history, the beauty, and, more than anything, the enduring institutions of our nation, generously scattered, to grandiose effect, around downtown DC.

I love living here and, most of the time, love playing tourist in my own city.

No comments: