Monday, December 15, 2008

Missing something

Throughout the course of any given week, I consume an abundance of unhealthy calories by indulging in things like french fries, Chipotle, and beer, so I try to cut out junk in other places, where I can stand it: reduced fat cream cheese, not eating much candy, drinking water. My latest effort has been unsalted pretzels.

Pretzels are a perfect snack, save one thing. I noted with alarm recently that eating just five regular pretzels saddles you with more than 20% of your recommended daily sodium intake. I can probably eat five pretzels in 60 seconds. So I bought some unsalted ones - 3% sodium. They're absolutely disgusting, at first. It's just like eating stale bread. But after awhile, they've grown on me a bit. I still crave the salt, but I can manage. Besides, when I start to snack, it's mostly because I'm ravenously hungry or because I simply enjoy the act of eating. In either case, even a less delicious pretzel will work. And I can still ingest 20% of my daily sodium if I choose. But I get to eat 33.3333 pretzels in the process.

No comments: