Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Good news from New England

Vermont’s legislature voted recently to allow civil marriages for gay couples. The bill’s passage was overwhelmingly supported in large part, I’m sure, because of emotional testimonies like this. There are many politically divisive issues for which I can see the merits of both positions, but gay marriage is not one of them. I’ve written at length about my thoughts on this matter. Maybe I’m too empathetic in general, but I do not understand how anyone could be unmoved by that 17 year old kid’s narrative. Yet I have friends – generally decent people - who would probably snicker at that video.

At least I’ve been moved to complain about bigotry by good news this time. I agree with Andrew Sullivan – the best way to overcome the barriers of inequality is via legislative action. Decisions reached in this fashion represent the will of the majority and are, in that sense, unassailable. With each passing year, a younger, more tolerant generation is coming to prominence. Hopefully more states will follow Vermont’s example.

No comments: