Friday, October 8, 2010

Much tastier than it looks

Wednesday's combination of crisp weather and my ongoing struggle to get rid of a nasty cold seemed perfectly tailored for soup - always one of my favorite foods to bump back into my diet every fall.  So I set about cooking a non-creamy mushroom soup that I first attempted last spring, with a few modifications.  Very delicious, although dreary and very brown in color without the spinach (which I did not have this time).  As with many things, I'm finding that proportions for soup recipes are pretty fluid - you can generally use what you have on hand or what sounds appealing at the time with great results.

Wild Mushroom Soup
  1. Slice 1 onion or several leeks.  Saute in a soup pot until soft with some olive oil or butter.
  2. Chop and throw in about 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, any combination.  I used about half baby portabella, diced, and half shittake, sliced.  Saute until soft.
  3. Pour in 1/2 c. cooking sherry or marsala wine.  Boil and allow to reduce by about half.
  4. Add about 8 c. chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer.
  5. Reconstitute 1 oz. dried wild mushrooms in the simmering soup.  I used oyster mushrooms.  If you don't have them, you can just use an additional 1/2 lb. of fresh mushrooms in step 2.
  6. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, making sure the dried mushrooms are soft.
  7. Pour in approximately 1 c. orzo or other small pasta.  Simmer until tender.
  8. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  9. Stir in chopped parsley and a handful of fresh spinach leaves before serving, if you have them.

No comments: