Monday, October 10, 2011

"The ball is tipped, and there you are..."

I don't know how any Maryland fan could not feel giddy at this news, that the annual Alumni Game at Midnight Madness will feature the likes of Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Byron Mouton, and Chris Wilcox.  A large chunk of the 2002 National Title team, back on the court together?  Seems too good to be true.

That team (and its earlier iterations from the preceding couple of years) helped me, and so many other kids my age, fall deeply in love with Terps basketball just in time for college applications.  Intrigued by the start of the Mark Turgeon era and watching the soccer game on campus earlier that evening, I was already planning to attend Midnight Madness this year (it's even at midnight again!).  But this absolutely seals the deal.

I'm excited for the upcoming season, even though the prevailing wisdom says that we are going to have a rocky time of it.  Although I will always love and miss Gary Williams, the uncertainty and energy surrounding the new direction of this team is actually quite exhilarating.

No comments: