Friday, October 24, 2008

Hail alma mater

This weekend marks homecoming at Maryland. Since I still live in the area and have season tickets to the football games, homecoming is not particularly novel in any way for me. But the atmosphere will be energetic, and hopefully I'll get to spend time with some friends who I haven't seen in awhile.

I volunteer for a group called the Young Alumni Committee. It tries to emphasize the importance of recent grads to the success of the Alumni Association, and works to build stronger connections between these young alums and the university. Tonight we have an event that I planned- the Young Alumni Homecoming Kickoff. I'm excited to see how it goes - and a little nervous. I hope that it works out well. Not just because I planned it, but because I have a vested interest in bettering UM.

Creating a strong bond with recent graduates will hopefully lead to a lasting relationship between these alums and the university as they get older. This is one of those big picture things that will take time to develop. I'm impatient to see the results, and to relish the subsequent sense of accomplishment. For now, though, I'll be happy with decent attendance, people having fun, and not screwing up my introductory remarks. The open bar should help with all of the above.

No comments: