Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On my way

I'm wary of blogs.

I don't fully understand the technology behind them and I realize that, in this age of electronic big brother, nothing posted to the internet is ever truly private. Blogs are frequently guilty of excessive whining, ranting, and political partisanship. Too often blogs take on the shape of public diaries- chattering, stream of consciousness style writing that is difficult and uninteresting to read. (Everyone needs an outlet, but part of the point of making a blog public is to post material that others may get something out of.) Yet I like blogs. I spend a lot of time reading them and, hopefully, will enjoy writing one as well.

So I'll give this a shot. Partially because I need something to fill the slow stretches at work, but also because I am occasionally struck by the urge to share my thoughts. And this seems like a good platform from which to do that. I make no promises about the quality of my writing, and don't particularly expect that anyone will be interested in reading my posts. Still, I'll do my best to not ramble.

I hope to be able to use each post as a snapshot of sorts. A picture of my life and how it's affected by the world around me at any given point in time. I don't know who Carl Sandburg was, but he apparently once said something that I like enough to stick at the bottom of the page: "I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." That is how I plan on treating this blog (and, ideally, my life). So if you're interested in this particular adventure, welcome.

No comments: