Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yearning for patriotism

A sense of camaraderie is something I have always valued. Growing up, I loved team-based, field-day-style relay races both because they were fun and because of the rewarding feeling of accomplishing something together. (I still love these types of games, and will readily challenge anyone to a dizzy bat race). On a national level, I think many people feel the same way. Who doesn't yearn for an excuse to exhibit his or her latent patriotism?

Moments of marked significance fill our country's history. Many are quite controversial, but some of those remembered most fondly evoke powerful feelings of hope and unity. Looking at pictures like this makes me long to be celebrating V-J Day in Times Square. The swelling feeling of shared exhilaration and relief would, I think, be overwhelming. Or what about being present as Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech on the Mall? Or chucking British goods overboard at the Boston Tea Party? Or experiencing the tension of the space race and watching Neil Armstrong step onto the moon? All of these moments were set against the backdrop of hardship- World War II, segregation, the Revolutionary War, the Cold War- yet all symbolize a united effort to overcome. This is the feeling that I long for so much.

Should Barack Obama win next week's election, it is my hope that history will view that moment in the same glowing light. McCain supporters may not be immediately moved to celebration. But an Obama presidency would inherently represent a huge dent to racism and foster lofty aspirations in a new generation of minority children. His popularity abroad would automatically improve our standing in the world. And his pragmatic, reasonable approach would hopefully inspire a new breed of goal-focused, bipartisan political decency. With all these factors working in his favor outside of his policies, I find it hard to believe that a President Obama would not win widespread respect.

A moment is approaching. You can hear it when Obama speaks and see it in the faces of his supporters and volunteers. Accounts of early voting in many states tell of long lines and eager people. My favorite depicts the significance of this election to a multi-generational black family in Indiana. I might be wrong, but I think this is going to be a very, very big deal. And, frankly, to be a part of it makes my eyes tear up.

No comments: