Monday, April 25, 2011

Sprucing up a spring sandwich

Save maybe for a few slices of a perfectly ripe avocado, I've decided recently that delicious bread may have more power to improve a sandwich than any other standalone ingredient.  I don't know why this comes as such a revelation to me, seeing as how I have always been a sucker for a crusty, freshly baked baguette.

This train of thought started about a month ago, while preparing Kevin's birthday dinner.  We were serving a trio of sliders: crab cakes, marinated grilled chicken, and stuffed lamb burgers.  While shopping, I started thinking about different ways to create small buns, since regular hamburger buns were too large.  Loaves of pita bread seemed like an obvious choice for the lamb burgers, but I couldn't find small ones, so we just ended up eating everything on sliced dinner rolls, which worked out ok.

More recently, I grilled up some chicken, marinated in buffalo sauce, with the intention of eating it like a burger.  Instead, I found myself craving one of the Trader Joe's handmade tortillas sitting in the fridge.  We had several leftover from a fajita dinner and I had been devouring them plain, warmed up nicely in a hot skillet.  So I ended up shredding the grilled chicken, dousing it with more buffalo sauce, and wrapping it up in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and a drizzle of blue cheese dressing.  As an added bonus, the one piece of chicken made enough for two wraps, so I got to eat a second while lying to myself that it was an equivalent amount of food.

And just this weekend, Joe, Kevin, and I got a craving for deli subs.  Instead of one of the pre-packaged, sort of soft sub rolls, we bought a baguette from Safeway and cut it into thirds.  It made a perfect sandwich roll.  The next day, I repeated the process with some of the leftover turkey, along with tomatoes, goat cheese, and arugula from the farmers' market.

We may have cut down, recently, on the practice of devouring loaves of bread, dunked in olive oil, before dinner every night, but it seems I have craftily identified another way to ingest my regular quota of delicious carbohydrates.

No comments: