Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mr. President-Elect

The gravity of this moment took awhile to sink in. I don't know why. I cried five times yesterday, but not during Obama's acceptance speech.

Maybe because part of me had already begun to assume that Obama would win in the days leading up to the election. Although I tried not to let myself become overconfident, it was hard not to feel good about his chances when Nate Silver's predictions were so promising (and accurate, it turns out). Maybe the moment of exhilartion had passed, when Fox called Ohio. Or maybe I had simply exhausted my capacity for emotional displays by 11pm, having teared up while waiting in line to vote, in my car, and at work.

Obama's election is a huge milestone for our country. The symbolism of it alone is enough to inspire goodwill domestically and abroad. I really hope that he is able to capitalize on this and make some substantive progress. I know this won't be easy- Bush is leaving the country in a precarious place. But if the marathon campaign has done anything, it has filled me with confidence in Obama-the-candidate's ability to make steady, good decisions under pressure and be an inspiring leader. I am fervently hopeful that, as president, he will continue to do the same. And if this is the case, the symbolic significance of his win last night is only the beginning of all the good that Barack Obama will do for our nation and the world.

And for the record, I cried on the way to work this morning.

No comments: