Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yo voté

D.C. polling places open at 7am, so at 6:07, I crawled out of bed, showered, and put on a blue shirt, using my Barack Obama tshirt as an undershirt, Superman style. Around 6:55, my roommates and I walked to our polling location, a nearby school, English muffins in hand. We saw some people standing on the street corner a block away, but followed signs to the entrance. Because of the angle of the building, we did not see until we got up close to the door the massive line. It stretched from the door all the way down the length of the school, and then turned the corner and circled around the block until it reached the street corner we had seen from a distance.

We walked towards that corner, passing everyone in line along the way. Some were very old, leaning on canes and perched on folding chairs. Others had very young children, clutching to their parents' hands or running around on the playground. There were people like me, dressed for work, and young people who looked like they had rolled out of bed and into line. The mood was excited. Many were chatting with those next to them in line. Others called out to neighbors and friends as they passed by to get in line (or, even better, on their way out, "I Voted" stickers proudly displayed).

The entire experience was very moving and I found it very difficult to keep myself from crying (gave in. twice). Elections board volunteers were on hand to ensure that first time DC voters understood the ballot and to periodically shuttle senior citizens to the front of the line. Despite the massive wait, things moved along very efficiently. And at 8:36 am, vaguely trembling and trying to avoid tearing up for the third time of the morning, I cast my vote for Barack Obama for president.

Please vote today.

No comments: