Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On gratitude and stuffing

I can't remember exactly when Thanksgiving replaced Christmas as my favorite holiday. Sometime in the last decade, the allure of eating delicious foods began to outshine that of wrapped toys in my mind. Everyone is so happy, we get two days off of work, and I genuinely cannot think of anything I would rather feast on than mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Also, I really like the message of Thanksgiving. All holidays have a significance that runs deeper than our typical celebrations, but Thanksgiving particularly resonates with me. Maybe because I don't know much about the religious backgrounds of other holidays, or maybe because I'm a sucker for sentimentality.

Regardless, it is comforting, if a little selfish, to consider my own good fortune. Even when life sucks, many people are inevitably worse off and have far more reason to cry than I ever will. Acknowledging this doesn't always make me feel better, but it at least makes me feel a little silly about being dejected. It never hurts to keep the world in perspective: to be grateful for life's many blessings, both material and intangible, and to feel lucky to lead a happy, priviliged existence. So really, to me, Thanksgiving is an excuse to dwell on the reasons that life is great (homemade stuffing being one of many).

No comments: