Monday, November 15, 2010

Everywhere we follow

As a college student, I followed the Maryland men’s soccer team very closely.  Spurred by my proximity to campus and, more than anything, the stirring community of alums and students that lives and dies with the team’s success, I have continued to attend games in the years since graduation, albeit less frequently. I’ve done some seemingly crazy things over the years for the Terps, mostly related to far-flung road (or plane) trips, made especially inconvenient because of departure time, proximity to exams or holidays, or both.

One thing, however, that I’ve never experienced first hand is an ACC championship.  Maryland defeated UNC 1-0 yesterday to take home the trophy (our second in the past three seasons!).  For all of the six hour bus trips back and forth to what was once called SAS Soccer Stadium, in Cary, NC, I have never seen the Terps win the conference tournament in person.  This weekend was no different, as a visit with David in Middletown, PA prevented me from joining the rest of the Crew on this weekend’s road trip.  But my absence couldn’t keep me from getting nostalgic - the victorious celebration, the joyous text messages, the DOTS bus.  All make me miss that particular corner of my college experience so, so much.

On the bright side, the Terps are not done.  I think this team could be special.  This year’s College Cup will be taking place in Santa Barbara in a few weeks.  Perhaps, if Maryland can get there, my Southwest voucher will get me there too.  Until then, you can find me at Ludwig, cherishing the experience of supporting college soccer’s finest team.

No comments: